Saturday 13 August 2016

Leighton Brown Beetroot Horseradish & Dill Crisps

I wasn't sure how the reluctant taste testers were going to react to this little packet of beetroot crisps. Or the flavour either: horseradish and dill. Frankly I wasn't sure about the flavour. Because although I like dill I really don't fancy horseradish and will got to great lengths to avoid it.

But, actually this was something of a success. A very nice crunch, quite a genuine beetroot taste and the added flavour is rather tasty. Not particularly horseradish, and I couldn't pick the dill flavour. Slightly Red Haired Bristolian taste tester tells us her grand father is a champion beetroot grower so she is something of an expert on this dark red root and I think she was pretty happy with this crispy snack. Even Nobel Friend who claims she dislikes beetroot and never eats it, said she liked it a lot. 

We never ever had beetroot at home when I was growing up. My mother had taken a grave dislike to it after being forced to eat fruit salads made with beetroot during WWII. If like me you rather like beetroot but don't have a history of cooking with it, you might like to take a look at the 10 best beetroot recipes from The Guardian website. 

I never heard of Leighton Brown before but I gather they make 3 different vegetable crisps (that is, not made from potatoes). Nice crisps and wonderful packaging design.
And thinking of beetroot, here's a rather wonderful beetroot and lemon ravioli from the M&S deli counter. Yum!

No comments :

Post a Comment