Monday 15 August 2016

Walkers Doritos Spicy Salsa

The Dutch taste tester discovered this packet of Spicy Salsa Doritos at her local Tesco and donated them to the cause which was very generous of her.

This is of course the opposing crisp flavour to Doritos Ultimate Cheeseburger flavour which the reluctant taste testers and I tried the other day. You are supposed to vote for one or the other flavour, and one will disappear forever.

And what did we think? Well, it seemed to the reluctant taste testers that Spicy Salsa is a much better flavour for Doritos than Ultimate Cheeseburger flavour. We loved the Ultimate Cheeseburger flavour but felt it would be better used on a crisp. I took the remains of the Cheeseburger Doritos home with me and tried again. And really loved the Cheeseburger flavour. But I cannot deny I think the flavour would work better on a crisp, maybe a crinkle cut crisp, than on a corn chip.

And Spicy Salsa? Rather tomatoey. In fact these corn chips taste rather as though they have already been dipped in a spicy tomatoey.... dip. Built in dip said the Tall taste tester. Yup, we felt that these Doritos definitely tasted as though they were flavoured with a spicy tomatoey dip.

A lovely corn chip crunch, a wonderful deep orange colour and lots of flavour dust.... but.

I had a bit of a row with the Chef about this flavour and the Ultimate Cheeseburger flavour version. He really preferred the Ultimate Cheeseburger flavour and said he didn't care what sort of crisp that flavour came on - it wouldn't effect his view of the flavour. OK. That's his opinion.

And you know what? I agree. The Cheeseburger is a great flavour. The Spicy Salsa is not.

But I suspect the Spicy Salsa flavour will win. Because it works really well on a corn chip. But you can build yourself a Spicy Salsa dip really easily. Why would you want your dip flavour dictated to you by your crisp manufacturer?

Hey! maybe I fancy a banana dip (not really) or a haggis dip (probably not) and I'd far rather dip the regular Dorito into my banana/haggis dip than a Spicy Salsa Dorito.

Come on Doritos. What's this about?
Unfortunately I have to report that Dutch taste tester did not win a trip to either Mexico or New York.

2 comments :

  1. The competition to win £20'000 is a load of bollocks!! Walkers says; "Two Flavours Destroy One" Ok, that would be fair dinkum if there wasn't a third flavour, but there is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid isn't it? But advertised all over the TV recently.
      And I think you only win if you can suggest a truly bonkers way of destroying the flavour like….. chucking a packet out of the International Space Station. OK that packet would be gone forever but the factory is still set up to make the flavour. Duh!
      I liked the Cheeseburger flavour better. But of course I would.

      Delete