Friday 13 May 2016

M&S Spirit of Summer Cajun Spiced Plantain Chips

Well, History Graduate taste tester was braver than I am and he purchased this packet of exotic crispy snacks for us to try. And you know what? This snack is not as sinister as I had supposed it might be.

The aroma from the bag is savoury, almost meaty, but these plantain chips are suitable for vegetarians, even vegans. The flavour is created from a combination of tomatoes, garlic, onion, yeast extract, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, basil, fennel seeds, and of course the ever popular "flavouring". Not to forget salt and sugar. Without which...

I took a few of these home for the Chef to try. He took a large chip and crunched in... And then there was a sudden silence and an agonised look. A strange expression crossed his face. Somehow I feel he wasn't that fetched. Oh dear oh dear.

And Tall Elegant taste tester and I were rather impressed. Not to mention Tall taste tester told me a couple of days later that he liked them so much he'd gone out and bought a packet. On purpose.

Considering how nasty I have thought this product might be, I thought it was quite a success.

No comments :

Post a Comment