Friday 10 July 2015

Lajkonik Junior Krakersy Wesołe Literki

The teaching taste tester had been snacking on this packet of crunchy letters (of the alphabet) at lunchtime on the day she came to supper, so she nobly contributed the half-eaten packet to the reviewing cause. And very thoughtful too.

And she did warn that though this packet of tiny salted crackers contains letters, it is, from an English point of view, a slightly unusual selection of letters. Because Polish features masses more Ws than English. More Zs too I suppose. But I am disappointed that the packet doesn't seem to feature any Łs. Perhaps you order from a pan-European company which will supply any combination of letters but they don't do accents or that L with the line through it which is pronounced /w/. I know roughly how you pronounce Ł but how do you say /w/?

Nowość says the packet (novelty), legendarny smak (legendary taste), złota jakość wypieku (golden quality baking). I'm doing my best with google translate.

The Lajkonik is one of the unofficial symbols of the city of Kraków (says Wikipedia). He is a bearded man with a hobby horse. This great photo which I found on Wikipedia Commons was taken by Izabella Zamojska. The origins of Lajkonik seem to be a bit of a mystery but he has featured in a festival for 700 odd years.

However, this crispy snack called Merry Letters (I think) seems to be made by a company also called Lajkonik which you can like on Facebook if you wish. The website doesn't have a lot of information (and of course it's all in Polish of which I sadly speak not one word) but there do seem to be quite a lot of products aimed at children. Of which this is one.

I am impressed that this packet of little crispy crackers is aimed at children but is not chock full of e numbers or sinister sounding chemicals. And they aren't covered in a luminous orange powder that stains your fingers. Plus there is a nutrition pyramid on the back of the packet showing what you should be eating like owoce (fruits) and warzywa (vegetables). Vastly superior to most British snacks aimed at children.

However, while I think the little letters are great, for me these little salted crackers aren't quite salty enough. That's because I prefer unhealthy bad-for-me saltiness. These would be a lot better for me than naughty fully salted yumminess, and the teaching taste tester knows that she eats a healthier diet than I do. Plus she runs!

The bag has a gusset where it says A B C in tiny salted cracker shapes. I tried to write my name in crackers but I could only find one G and I think all the Rs must have got eaten.

No comments :

Post a Comment