Sunday 13 September 2015

Chio Bull's Heads Wild Paprika

Chio make the fabulous Jumpys (which I didn't fully appreciate when I first tried them because in those far off 2 years ago times I didn't know any better) which are shaped like little kangaroos.

Now, you might suppose that any company having a success with a kangaroo-shaped crispy snack might move on to... oh I don't know.... an echidna (spiny anteater) or duck-billed platypus shape. Maybe a possum, or perhaps a kookaburra? Anything Australian...

But no. Chio has gone with the Bull's Head. In English. Which is a little odd. Because this interesting crispy snack is made in Germany but marketed by Intersnack Switzerland. Intersnack is a pan-european crispy snack conglomerate so I suppose you can buy these Bull's Heads all over Europe (except the UK of course). And I do find it a little disappointing that the snack name is in English. Come on guys! You ought to be naming your snacks in German or something.

Anyhow, I found the the angry bull face (maybe it's not meant to be angry) on the packet, and the "wild paprika" flavour quite aggressive.  Well, they don't present a very friendly picture. So it is easy to get put off. But, as ever, I found that my opinion (formed on the spot in the Conthey Co-op) was quite wrong. And the reluctant taste testers agreed that I was wrong.

The shape of this crispy snack comes as a bit of a surprise, and people who didn't know they were tucking into a Bull's Head can be (again) a little surprised at what they are trying.

But the shape of the snack is pretty true to what you might expect from the description, and the taste is pretty tasty. Wild Paprika sounds a bit strong, a bit hot, a bit tough perhaps, but in fact this crispy snack (although a little bit hot) has a lovely rich mild flavour, and a great crunch, and is really good. The reluctant taste testers and I liked this crispy snack a lot.

Obviously those of the taste testers who remember Jumpys were as puzzled as me by this new departure... but hey! who knows what a crispy snack manufacturer will get up to next?

No comments :

Post a Comment