Saturday 16 January 2016

M&S Katsu Curry Sticky Rice Chips

Ah ha! Another complete dinner flavour crisp. And again from Marks & Spencer.

Well you can't tell who is going to like what can you? Tech taste tester saw these crisps and said that he had recently cooked katsu curry. It sounded as though he was rather a fan. But he didn't much care for these crisps. He said he got pizza flavour.

Everyone else liked them. Including me!

Weirdly Wikipedia tells me that curry sauces made their way into Japanese cuisine via the Royal Navy (which adopted curry from the British Raj) and the Imperial Japanese Navy. I gather that even today the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force has curry for lunch on Fridays. Actually it might be for dinner. But lucky them. On Fridays British schools always serve fish which I loathe. I'd sooner have curry I think.

Anyway, these handsome gluten free chips are a smart diamond shape, although as so often with shaped crispy snacks there are a lot of breakages. Nice crunch though.

The aroma is (I thought) a very strong curry flavour, but the taste is quite gentle. And this despite the ingredients which include coriander, cayenne pepper, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, fennel, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves and black pepper. And the actual body of the chip is made from rice flour, maize flour, tapioca starch and potato starch. Complicated.

Ingredient alert: contains honey. I don't think I have seen this before. Is it important not to feed honey to children under 12 months? I confess I had no idea. But seriously, would you give a baby curry flavoured crisps? Well, who knows, but I wouldn't have thought so.

It's another sticky rice chip. I'm not sure that's a flavour. I'm really not. And these chips aren't sticky so.... but they have baked in rice grains, red chilli and coriander.

Pretty good even if you're not a curry fan. But perhaps not if you are a katsu curry fan?

2 comments :

  1. Very interesting! I'd try those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&S have loads of interesting "whole dinner" flavours just now. Most of them pretty tasty and.... Quite moreish. So the reluctant taste testers have little to whinge about on the crispy snack front!

      Delete