Thursday 2 April 2015

Tesco Finest Feature Flavour Stilton, Caramelised Red Onion & Thyme

A "feature flavour" crisp; creamy British Stilton with deliciously sweet and tangy red onion says the packaging.

Tesco produce an interesting selection of own brand crisps. Some of them, especially those for the Christmas market, can have very complicated flavours. These are crisps that often sound like a dish in a smart restaurant.

These crisps, just like other Tesco Finest, have a good crunch, nice texture with plenty of flavour dust in this case sprinkled lightly with paprika.

You get all sorts of information on the packet. These crisps contain no artificial flavours, colours or MSG. The potato variety is Lady Rosetta. The field they were grown in is Lodge One 4, which is somewhere in Devon. And the crisps themselves were produced on 20th September 2014 at 12:16. They are actually a little bit past their sell-by date but I've noticed that provided your store your crisps carefully and don't let them sit around for too long, it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

I'm told by a friend whose parents live in Devon that Tesco crisps are made by Burts Potato Chips (based in Devon), but the internet tells me that Tayto Crisps (from Ireland) make them. So I don't know which is correct.

Anyway I did think it was about time the reluctant taste testers and I tried this packet of crisps. And it's a very pleasant flavour which most of us liked quite a lot.

I can't say that Stilton is really detectable. Which is a pity because there actually is Stilton on the list of ingredients. There's red onion and ordinary onion too, but they're not too pushy, and there is plenty of herbiness. I would quite like to know what beetroot powder and dried blueberries contribute to the flavour although I don't know why I bother to ask when some crisps seem to derive their flavour entirely from milk products.

As I said, this is quite a pleasant flavour but I wouldn't really mind if I never saw it again.

No comments :

Post a Comment