Tuesday 3 November 2015

Tayto Cheese & Onion (Northern Ireland)

The people's choice says the packet. And it well may be.

I had heard about Tayto crisps. They seem to be some sort of Irish legend. Like Finn MacCool perhaps (no; not really). Anyway when I spotted this multi-pack in Tesco's world food section (where else?), obviously I had to buy it.

What a weird selection though. Cheese & Onion, Salt & Vinegar and..... Prawn Cocktail. What? No plain Salted?
And I have to say (sorry Tayto) I really do not admire the branding of this product. The colours are a bit too brash and (sorry again) I hate the cartoon potato. I hate the fact that a potato, that's Mr Tayto to you, is drawn to look like Frank Sinatra or Marlon Brando in Guys & Dolls. I mean, look at him: he's about to burst into song.

However, I have to stop picking holes in the design because in fact these crisps are every bit as good as rumour had it.

Rather small, in fact surprisingly small crisps, and a little pale in colour. But the crunch is wonderfully light, and the taste is superb. Brilliant.

The multi-pack bag was too long to fit in my scanner so you have to imagine another 40mm or 50mm of turquoise on either end.
And here's the 2016 60th anniversary packet which Noble Friend found at Fortnum & Mason.

No comments :

Post a Comment