Monday 1 September 2014

Walkers Chip Shop Chicken Curry

I have probably led a very sheltered and dull life, but I've never been to a chip shop for curry. In fact, I don't think I've been to a chip shop (except for at Bondi Beach which is a whole nother story involving fabulous potato scallops) since about 1980.

So here's me, a bit surprised. I thought you went to the chip shop for fish and chips or sausage and chips. So the idea that you go to the chip shop for a curry is a new idea. And actually I'm not mad for curry either so the idea of picking up a curry from the local chippie doesn't really tempt.

However, Walkers have created quite an impressive curry flavour crisp here. The usual Walkers quality crisp with just the right amount of crunch, these are rather more golden than usual; I expect it is the curry powder. Great curry aroma and very good curry taste.

And, really quite unusually, these chicken curry crisps actually have real chicken (Devonshire chicken powder) in the recipe. I've tried so many "meat flavour" crisps which are suitable for vegetarians that I was quite surprised to discover these actually have (a vestige of) meat in them. Obviously I can't say how much but there is chicken in the list of ingredients along with onion, cumin, apple, garlic, red pepper and chilli. Not that I'm sure I could detect chicken in the flavour. Maybe a hint, I'm really not sure.

I tried these on the reluctant taste testers at work and they were, for the most part, pretty impressed. Put it like this: the bowl I set out in the kitchen was emptied in no time at all. One of the taste testers went so far as to say this was a superb crisp and where could he buy them? And I took the last few crisps home for the Chef to try and he finished them no trouble at all. I got about two.

Not half bad. I hope Emma G likes them. Here's a link to Walkers website so you can vote for your favourite flavour if you fancy. Voting closes on 17 October 2014.

My only real gripe is that your fingers stink of curry after you've been eating them. But hey. That washes off.

And here's the little guy throwing his rubbish away responsibly. I think the whole Do Us a Flavour range has the same design.

No comments :

Post a Comment