Monday 13 January 2014

Popchips Barbeque Potato Chips

I had hoped I was going to like these crisps because I don't like posting a series of negative reviews all in a row. But to be perfectly honest I really don't care for them much.

Perhaps they don't really qualify as crisps because they're made of potato flakes and potato starch. And then they are neither fried nor baked but, somewhat mysteriously, pressure cooked in some way to produce these strangely circular crispy snacks.

The packet tells me they contain "no artificial anything". So, no fake colours, no fake flavours, no fluorescent orange fingertips, and no wiping your greasy hand on your jeans. Hmmm. I actually rather enjoy the crispy snacks that leave you with fluorescent orange fingertips!

They sound promisingly healthy for a crispy snack don't they? 50% less fat per 23g serving (the size of this packet), and suitable for vegetarians; always a plus. Available in 6 different flavours so it's unfortunate that I'm trying the barbeque flavour because I really don't like barbeque/BBQ flavour that much. Indeed, in some cases I have found it absolutely disgusting!

I don't really get why anyone wants to eat food that tastes of nothing but smoke.

Actually, I don't really get real barbeques either. You usually get stuck with something that's not properly cooked or completely overcooked, often with bones in, and then the alleged chef expects you to eat it outside. Which often involves beating off a swarm of wasps. Why do people do this? It's a mystery to me.

And yes, I am aware that it's probably just me. But are you allergic to wasp stings?

Anyway, Popchips have quite a light crunch. There's quite a lot of flavour dust (a lot of paprika in the colour by the looks of things). I think I can taste the yeast extract and the garlic powder, maybe even the tomato powder listed in the ingredients. These chips wouldn't be bad at all if it wasn't for the extra smoke flavour which I assume comes from oak smoked sea salt (which sounds rather posh don't you think?).

I'd be interested to try a different flavour. I have seen Popchips vans driving around locally so perhaps I can source one of the other flavours sometime soon.

This was the final choice from my birthday present from the Family Vegetarian and the Graffiti Artist.

No comments :

Post a Comment