Thursday 5 June 2014

M&S Apple Crisps

This is another of Marks & Spencers' eat well range; 1 of your 5 a day. Sweet and delicious dried apple slices. As I have recently tried beetroot and kale and plantain crisps (with sweet potato pending) I thought I would try apple as well. Why not?

These crisps are described as "deliciously healthy food best enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle and a balanced healthy diet. Reducing intake of saturated fats helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels" (it says here). And: "for optimum health, we should all aim to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. Try balancing 3 veg with 2 fruit and choose different colours for a good variety of different nutrients." So get going chaps! Eat red, eat purple, eat orange, eat yellow, and then if you're feeling really strong eat green as well.

How different that is from the meat and two veg diet of my childhood. Which probably worked out as a brown and green diet. Mostly. Unless you really liked carrots. Can you imagine what the residents of the 1960s would have said if you insisted on eating foods according to colour?

Well, actually I guess it depends if we're talking about the early 1960s which were pretty much still in the black and white world we know from very early film/TV footage of The Beatles, or the rather later technicolour Beatles of the post Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band era. My parents and certainly my grandparents were firmly based in black and white land. Goodness me! My lovely Grandpa never ate pasta or rice except as a pudding and as for garlic....

Anyhow. Anyhow these apple crisps are being marketed as a healthy option to go with your lunchtime sandwich or what have you. The ingredients are just dried apple and concentrated lemon juice. Which I guess must be good. They are awfully sweet though so I confess I was a bit suspicious and thought there must be some added sugar. But apparently not.

The texture is a bit like foamy cardboard (I'm not really sure how to describe it) with rather a soft crunch and the taste isn't quite as appley as I was expecting but I accidentally ate the whole packet without noticing. A pleasant snack.

A nice little 30g packet. Suitable for vegetarians. Made in Poland.

No comments :

Post a Comment