Wednesday 2 May 2018

M&S Welsh Rarebit Style Hand Cooked Crisps

Well now, the reluctant taste testers don't seem to have tried a crisp from M&S for quite a while.

Perhaps because Marks & Spencer appear to have lost their enthusiasm for launching a new flavour of crisp every other week. OK, perhaps not that often, but there was a time, remember History Graduate taste tester? When he was around we seemed to be running as fast as we could just to keep up with the new crisps. It was a struggle and in the end I don't think we got around to trying everything on offer.

Anyway, what have we here? Welsh Rarebit Style. So this is a packet of little bits of toast with cheese topping is it? In a way I wish it were. But no.

It's a packet of normal style crisps.

And, let's be positive. Tech taste tester told me he loved these crisps; he could eat the whole packet. That's nice. I'm glad he was enthusiastic. Senior and Tall taste tester (both men) wouldn't exactly admit to enthusiasm but I have a feeling they ate quite a lot of them. On the other hand Cliffs of Moher taste tester told me she thought they taste of vomit. Could it be that this is a man's flavour? I'm not sure why that should be, but that's how it has worked out.

I have to say I really wasn't mad keen myself. I thought at first they seemed far too cheesy, then there's a hit of something hot. And then it turns out I really didn't like the taste or the aroma. Oh dear. Because someone has tried very hard with the flavour; it's chock full of ingredients. Tamarind, cloves, mustard, turmeric, ginger, cardamon and nutmeg jostle for supremacy with mature cheddar cheese and I'm not sure who wins.

As someone said, it's enough to put you off Welsh rarebit. That's a pity.

And again, there's the yin yang style arrow, the green dot (although in this case it's yellow and black) showing that M&S helps to fund packaging recycling systems. Even though this packet cannot be recycled.

No comments :

Post a Comment