Sunday 10 November 2019

Monomasa Queso Blanco & Lemon Drop Chilli Tortillas with Spirit

Here's another rather good tortilla chip from Monomasa. And another pretty packet. I do enjoy the way they play with their ingredients to make the kaleidoscope-style designs.

Actually I’m going to change my mind and call it very good. Even excellent.

Recipe No: 18, the Curado layered with creamy Queso Blanco, yellow Hominy Corn and the citrusy heat of Lemon Drop Chilli. All served up in a smart crispy rectangle. Provided the chips haven't broken, and sadly, as we have learned from experience,  tortilla chips so often do break.

The taste is rather good. I tried it out on the Family Vegetarian (luckily this is a vegetarian snack) and she was pleased to approve this slightly hot, slightly lemony, slightly salty crispy snack.  The word "slightly" downgrades the flavour somewhat but "very" would be an exaggeration, and no adjectives at all just looks boring. The Chef quite liked it too. we tried it with a sour cream and chive dip which worked very well but I note that the packet recommends guacamole. Cliffs of Moher Taste Tester finished the packet.

I think I first tried this tortilla chip when the Senior Taste Tester had some as part of his lunch. He promised to save me the packet but the office cleaner threw it away. Cleaners often fail to recognise the importance of saved crisps packets; yes, you may have finished the snack, but packets are a fount of information.

So here we find that this recipe was the 18th attempt  to get a perfect combination for the  Lemon Drop Chilli (apparently a favourite in Peru). Well, I never heard of Queso Blanco ( I presume it's a species of white cheese but my Internet access is acting up no end this weekend so I can't investigate now - I did try - honest, and for some reason my google comes in French), but it certainly works well. What's more, these tortilla chips don't suffer that nasty floury effect I dislike so much.

Quite moreish.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment