Wednesday 14 August 2019

Eggy Kathy Salted Egg Potato Chips

Just about everything to do with this packet of crisps from Myanmar (Burma as was) is a bit weird.

The packet looks like brown card but is lined with silver foil and has a handy snap shut feature that you sometimes find on packets of raisins and sultanas. In fact it’s a genuinely resealable pack which I really admire. Honestly, I’m fed up with the amount of allegedly resealable packaging I’ve come across: it almost never works properly.

Then the packaging design is very unusual. Chinese lanterns, and those other lanterns that you light and send off into the night sky. And then some random leaves. I thought they might be curry leaves (on the list of ingredients) but they can’t be. “Shake me” it says, and “insanely yummy”. About 6 different typefaces and of course, 2 different alphabets gives a cluttered look.

But why am I niggling about all the little things? Because I couldn’t bring myself to fancy these eggy crisps. I couldn’t fancy the eggy Spanish crisps donated by Still a Student either. (And BTW Still a Student is a student no more. I understand she got a first and is enjoying travelling for a while.) And I always feel guilty if I can’t appreciate a packet of crisps brought from afar, especially for the reluctant taste testers and me.

If I remember correctly, it was only taste tester from the New Forest who appreciated this packet of crispy... well, like the frilly crunchy bits when you fry an egg. When you fry an egg properly. No point in a fried egg if it doesn’t have crunchy brown frilly edges. Well, we had one fan but this crispy snack was too weird for the rest of us.

I feel particularly guilty here because not only did Tall Elegant taste tester bring this packet of crisps home from Myanmar, but another little packet she bought from a boatman on the Irrawaddy River. And what did I do with it? Don’t know. Very guilty about that.

No comments :

Post a Comment