Friday 3 July 2020

The Most Unusual Crispy Snacks?

I was going to start by saying that there is a surprisingly large number of crazy people out there in the blogosphere, and on Instagram too, writing about crisps and crispy snacks. Although as I am one of those crazy people I think perhaps the less said about that the better.

And there are some interesting articles if you can just be bothered to look. And while I was wandering the internet I came across a post from Bored Panda listing what he/she/they consider to be the most unusual chip flavors, which is to say, crisp flavours they have picked from around the world. Although I think it’s a pity the person who compiled the list didn’t supply any of their own opinions.
Well, it’s an intriguing selection but I don’t think the crisps listed are as unusual as all that because the Reluctant Taste Testers and I have tried some of them. And as this cartoon from Berger and Wyse shows, one person’s favourite crispy snack may be delicious to them but qualify for your personal unusual/weird/too disgusting to try list. I mean; I really do draw the line at Mint Mischief (from India)
or Blueberry from Bored Panda’s article. At least I think I do. What would happen if I found a packet to try? Obviously I would try them. But I definitely do draw the line at Victorian Oyster. Probably.

However, I think it’s important to note that one person’s unusual/weird/too disgusting to try crispy snack may be the flavour of choice for someone who lives in another part of the world. Or another state, another county, or 5 miles away where they speak a different language: you can bet that with another language you get a different set of flavours. And shapes too.

So anyway, let’s take a look at Bored Panda’s list: what about Lay’s Wasabi Ginger? Actually most of the Reluctant Taste Testers rather enjoyed this unusual flavour. I didn’t! But that’s because I dislike  wasabi and horseradish. I don’t understand why you would eat them on purpose. So I was doomed to dislike this crisp.
Or what about a cinnamon flavour crisp? From Monomasa  perhaps?
Or maybe from Marks & Spencer? It’s really not as mad as it sounds. Just don’t try dipping these cinnamon rolls into your sour cream and chive dip.
But I think we wouldn’t try Cappuccino crisps again. Seriously; who on earth thought of this? I do realise it was part of a “do us a flavour” campaign where crisp fans suggest wacky new flavours but surely this is a ridiculous flavour for a crisp? How did it ever get into the final selection? None of the Reluctant Taste Testers enjoyed this crisp, including Dear Friend from Buffalo who bought it. Mind you, when she came to stay I did ask her to buy the maddest flavour she could possibly find. Well, it was worth trying

Here’s  a comment from Grub Street on this one.


No comments :

Post a Comment