Wednesday 27 June 2018

Kettle Discoveries Gressingham Duck, Plum Sauce & Spring Onion

Back in November 17 I posted a magazine ad showing these crisps but I only just discovered them in a big branch of Waitrose. I've still never seen the amazing sounding salted caramel and cream crisps (a tragedy!) but here we have the rebranded duck flavour.

The reluctant taste testers and I tried this crisp when it was branded Chef's Signature, with a great big picture of a chef. I can't at this late date remember what that packet of crisps was like but it says here that I thought them much too spring oniony. 

And I have to tell you I wasn't that mad about this packet either. I think the Tesco packet from December 2013 were better at tasting of duck. Possibly because it was called Hoisin Duck. At any rate I gave it a pretty good review. 

However good the actual crisp, however crispy the crunch, an unconvincing flavour won't deliver a great crisp. And in the end I don't think duck really works as a crisp flavour. Why is it that roast chicken works really well, but duck has to be enhanced wit spring onions and plum sauce? Perhaps that tells us all we need to know.

No comments :

Post a Comment