Monday 8 June 2020

Tayto Salt & Vinegar (Republic of Ireland)

Here’s the final packet of Tayto crisps (and crispy snacks) from the exciting care package the Chef and I received from Ireland. So I thought I should take a look at the Tayto Website.
Where I found actual evidence that the Irish don’t care for what I always call Ready Salted as a flavour. They don’t make salt flavour crisps! Cliffs of Moher Taste Tester did tell me that its hard to buy salty crisps in Ireland. And, you know, why would she make that up? She wouldn’t. Of course not.

Plain salt flavour was just about the only kind of crisp you could get when I was a child so they hold a special place in my heart. And in fact, I often find I like the plain salted flavour best. So despite being of Irish extraction I confess I find this very weird indeed.

Anyhow. Onwards to the Salt & Vinegar flavour. The smell of vinegar is very strong but the taste of the crisps themselves quite gentle. A fine cut, a good crunch and a tasty crisp. I ate a few and the Chef ate all the rest. I think he enjoyed them.
And of course I mustn’t forget that Tayto run a theme park in County Meath, with rides and a zoo and visits to the crisp factory. Although, of course, I am writing this in the time of coronavirus and it’s not currently open. The wooden roller coaster named for Ireland’s great mythical hero Cú Chulainn looks absolutely terrifying. And it’s not very reassuring to read it’s not suitable for people with heart or back conditions, or pregnant guests.

No comments :

Post a Comment