Monday 19 February 2018

Far Far at Dishoom Kings Cross, London

We went out for lunch to celebrate the Chef's birthday and chose Dishoom which is a chain of restaurants based on old Irani cafes in Bombay. I like the food because it’s gently spicy without being too hot for me.

And as a starter the Chef ordered Far Far. Which is basically a crispy snack. The Dishoom version is tubular but I gather they also come in squares and sticks and lattic shapes and stars and.... I have no idea how you’d make them because it seems you buy a packet of what looks rather like dried pasta and then fry it in oil.

According to our waiter Far Far are flavoured with chilli and mango. I don’t think I could distinguish any particular flavours but the colourful ones seemed tastier than the plain pale yellow ones. The menu described them as a sort of carnival of snackery, halfway between crisp and cracker, colourful, lemony, salty. Not sure I could pick the lemon but I did like the crunch.

I dare say you get Far Far at all sorts of eastern-style restaurants, and quite likely many of you crisp fans out there know a lot more about this Far Far than I do, however I don’t often (if ever - but who knows what the future may bring?) go for an Indian, so discovering Far Far was a pleasant surprise for me.

But why, and this applies to everything in life, do you always get more of the dull plain ones than the fancy colours? Life, eh?

No comments :

Post a Comment