Sunday 24 September 2017

Taylors Welsh Potato Crisps Smoky Bacon

Well, this is interesting. Noble Friend went to a wedding in Wales and was determined to find some Welsh crisps to bring back for consideration. Last time she found crisps by Jones O Cymru; this time she found 6 packets of Welsh crisps from Taylors. She also brought home a new dog. That'll be new taste tester Milo.

Made from potatoes born and raised in Wales says the front of the packet. OK, that sounds good. But the back of the packet tells me these crisps are made in Perthshire. That's the Perthshire in Scotland in case you never studied UK geography. So why would you bother exporting Welsh spuds to Scotland I ask myself? Well I can't think of any reason at all because I am well aware they grow fabulous potatoes in Scotland. That's got to be at least 300 unnecessary food miles.

So I put out a bowlful for the reluctant taste testers to try. It's a small 40g bag but even so these crisps were not snacked up particularly quickly. The taste is very mild, especially when you consider how strong a smoky bacon flavour can be. But the texture is a bit odd. Tall taste tester described it as chewy. And I think he's right. This is not a crisp where you snack up the entire packet without noticing how many you've eaten. You have to chew these.
The packet says they are thick cut, and gently cooked for a perfect crunch and unique dry texture. Hmmm... I'm not certain I want this unique dry texture but we have 5 more packets to try so I guess we'll see.
We visited the charming little Chateau de Nesle which is a sort of fortified farmstead. It has a really peaceful atmosphere and we loved our visit there, especially as there were only 2 other people there. It's privately owned, and you can hire it for your wedding reception or other grand party.
Amazingly the Germans and Americans fought over this tranquil spot in the final months of WWI.

No comments :

Post a Comment