Saturday 29 August 2015

Lay's Collection Regions Saveur Ch'ti Sauce Pom' Frites

As ever when confronted with a special edition crisp, how can one possibly resist?

I knew about Ch'ti, at least a little, because of the 2008 film Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis in which a postman from Provence is exiled to what he expects to be a hell on earth: the ghastly and freezing cold north of France where everyone is unemployed, everyone drinks like a fish, and (worse) everyone speaks a crazy dialect called Ch'ti. Not having seen the film I am paraphrasing from a number of plot synopses I found online. Needless to say, our hero learns to love the local people and pretty much everything about the area.

So Ch'ti (also called Picard or Chtimi or even Rouchi) is the local dialect spoken in Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardie. And also in parts of Belgium where it has official status as a regional language. The things I learn when I read up on crispy snacks for you! And Ch'ti also seems to mean the local people and, in this case, their taste for a particular sauce on their chips (or fries).

And it seems to me that this crisp flavour is very similar to a crisp from the Netherlands Lay's Patatje Joppie kindly contributed by the Dutch taste tester last year. So it's a bit of a shame that the Chef and I are tasting it here in Switzerland because both the Dutch taste tester and noble friend would be interested to this flavour. I think they would probably like it.

Once again we have a very nice crisp. Good colour, good crunch. But I don't think that this flavour is for me. And the Chef made a face.

The sauce flavour seems to be a mix of mustard, onion, garlic, herbs and spices, cinnamon, paprika, sugar and (oh dear) celery. What you get is sort of the flavour of mustard and gherkin from a Big Mac (very much sort of). I confess that we really weren't mad about this crisp flavour.

But you know it's always interesting to try.

No comments :

Post a Comment