Friday 3 July 2015

Blair's Death Rain Habanero Pepper Cauldron Cooked Potato Chips

OMG! is the heat rating on this hot hot hot packet of chilli crisps from Blair's Death Rain from New Jersey.

And, er, OMG just about tells you everything you need to know.

I am not mad for chilli as a flavour.

In limited quantities it adds a certain something. In a slightly higher ratio of chilli to the rest of the recipe it can make a great difference between ordinary and very tasty. In huge great enormous piles of heat I really don't get it.

So I put out a bowl at work and waited to see what the reluctant taste testers had to say.

Mostly they didn't seem to be big fans. One of them came out in a slight sweat like a comedy character from the 1960s trying curry for the first time. Several told me they wished they hadn't tried a crisp at all. The Chairman came into the office and told me he thought today's crisps were horrible. Or did he say dreadful? I'm really sorry, but I thought he was right.

However, the Dutch taste tester seemed fairly taken, and the tall taste tester too. I think it was them. At any rate, a fair number got eaten. Just not the whole bowlful.

At home the family vegetarian found them rather hot, and the Chef's son-in-law who happens to be a chef (as opposed to the Chef who isn't) agreed. We didn't finish the packet so this flavour was not a general favourite. I guess the OMG rating on the heat-o-meter was too much for us.

The family vegetarian even went so far as to email me to say she would not recommend these crisps. Oh dear.

But I should remind readers that we have previously tried Ancho Chilli Cheeseburger and Buffalo Wing flavours from Blair's Death Rain with considerable success.

I particularly liked the Chilli Cheeseburger flavour crisps. Excellent cheeseburgeriness. But then, you know, I think perhaps I have a thing for Cheeseburger crisps.

2 comments :

  1. Death rain....now that caught my eye! I love heat, but there has to be flavor with it...and maybe eating something along with the chips like a sandwich. Maybe some sour cream to dip them in to cool it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe you're right and some sour cream would have helped. But basically these crisps were much too much for the Chef and me.
    I have to admit that the Ancho Chilli Cheeseburger crisps from the lovely people at Death Rain were very tasty but this flavour was not for us.
    And obviously you can tell why I bought them. I mean; what a great name.

    ReplyDelete